About financials & payroll

Under the Financials tab, you will find information on employer rates, policy financials (including payments due and history of payments made) and payroll information.

Submit payroll

You can submit your payroll information directly to WCB by following these steps:

  1. Log into MyAccount and select the policy you are submitting payroll for

  2. Choose the Financials tab

  3. Choose Payroll Submission under the menu on the left

  4. Choose the year and period you are submitting for. Select Submit.

  5. Enter the payroll in the Total Assessable Payroll field and select Calculate Premium

  6. The amount of your premium will display below

  7. Choose Submit (or Submit and Make Another Submission if you are reporting for more than one policy)

  8. Select Pay My Balance and you will be taken to CRA’s MyPayment page where you can pay your premium

Adjust payroll

If you need to adjust a previously submitted payroll or view your transaction history, follow these steps:

  1. Choose Transaction History under Financials->Payroll Submissions

  2. Select the edit icon to the right of the period you want to adjust

  3. Enter the new payroll amount

  4. Select Calculate Premium and Submit

To learn more about reporting payroll, watch this video.

Account Balance Reconciliation

The Account Balance Reconciliation Report on MyAccount is currently displaying transactions incorrectly. Please know, your information is correct in our systems and we are working to resolve this issue. If you have any questions, please call us at 1-800-870-3331.

You need to reconcile your statement of account for a particular policy, follow these steps:

  1. Log into MyAccount and select the policy you would like to reconcile

  2. Choose the Financials tab

  3. Choose Account Balance Reconciliation under the menu on the left

  4. Select the From and To dates you are interested in and click View Transactions

  5. A PDF will open listing the applicable details you are looking for and will be saved under Forms & Letters for future access

Business discontinuation

If you are closing your business, either permanently or temporarily, you can submit a request for business discontinuation through WCB Account tab in MyAccount. An account manager will review the request and respond to you.

Any Questions?

If you have any questions or need further assistance, contact us by secure message or by phone at 1-800-870-3331.